Cover produced to commemorate the last Royal task of the Queen's Flight and the first Royal flight undertaken by No 32 (The Royal) Squadron in 1995. The artwork of the cover shows the Queen's Flight Westland Wessex over Windsor Castle and below one of No 32 (the Royal) Squadron's repainted BAe 125 aircraft in Royal livery flying over Turkey. The cover also bears the Queen's Flight Badge with RAF Benson crest underneath, where the flight was based it also bears the new badge of No 32 (The Royal) Squadron and the crest of RAF Northolt, where it is based. Right of the artwork the Royal Coat of Arms is shown.
The King's Flight was formed on 21 July 1936 during the reign of Edward VIII who was a keen flyer, on his abdication at the end of 1936, his brother Albert became King George VI. At the outbreak of war the flight was moved from Windsor to RAF Benson and then disbanded during World War II until the Flight was reformed on 1 May 1946. When Queen Elizabeth acceded to the throne on 6 February 1952, the flight was nearly scrapped but on the 1 August 1952 it was renamed the Queen's Flight. On 1 May 1995 after nearly fifty years the flight was merged with No 32 Squadron to form No 32 (The Royal) Squadron. No 32 Squadron was a very accomplished squadron having seen service during WWI and WWII taking part in the Battle of Britain in 1940 flying Hurricanes.
The cover has been on the last Royal task of the Queen's Flight carrying HRH Princess Maragaret from RAF Benson to Windsor Castle on the 31 March 1995 and reflown on the first Royal Flight made by newly retitled No 32 (The Royal) Squadron on the 1 April 1995 carrying HRH Prince Edward from RAF Northolt to Istanbul, Turkey and return.
Cover bears 40th Anniversary of the Accession stamp cancelled with BFPS 1000 handstamp dated 8 May 1995
Signed by Group Captain J King AFC RAF, Station Commander RAF Benson and Group Captain J Morley MBE RAF, Station Commander RAF Northolt
Cover size 210mm x 110mm
Official special 250 numbered and certified