The English Electric Lightning was a fighter far ahead of its time and the prototypes spent years in development resulting in a fighter aircraft capable of Mach 2 and with an unforgettable appearance. The prototype Lightning first flew in August 1954, with the first production prototypes flying in October 1959. No 74 Squadron was the first RAF Squadron to receive the Lightning F1 in 1960.
This cover shows a F3 Lightning of No 74 Squadron in 1964 showing the distinctive 'Tiger' on the tail with Tiger stripes either side of the roundel and bears our own BFPS 2777 postmark for the 40th Anniversary of the Lightning F3 in RAF Service with No 74 Squadron 14 April 2004.
Hand signed by Air Commodore K.J. Goodwin CBE AFC
200 Signed, Numbered and Certified
Air Commodore K.J. Goodwin CBE AFC, was Commanding Officer of No 74 Squadron from 1966-1969 flying Lightning F6s. He was also attached to No 74 Squadron as part of the Aerobatic Team in 1961. He also took part in the pre-production tactical trials of the Lightning forerunner the P1B. In 1972 he was Station Commander of RAF Wattisham the home of the Lightning F3s of Nos 29 and 111 Squadrons.