The English Electric Lightning was a fighter far ahead of its time and the prototypes spent years in development resulting in a fighter aircraft capable of Mach 2 and with an unforgettable appearance. The prototype Lightning first flew in August 1954, with the first production prototypes flying in October 1959. No 74 Squadron was the first RAF Squadron to receive the Lightning F1 in 1960.
This cover shows a F3 Lightning of No 74 Squadron in 1964 showing the distinctive 'Tiger' on the tail with Tiger stripes either side of the roundel and bears our own BFPS 2777 postmark for the 40th Anniversary of the Lightning F3 in RAF Service with No 74 Squadron 14 April 2004.
Hand signed by Group Captain D.C. Roome OBE FRAeS
200 Signed, Numbered and Certified
Group Captain D.C. Roome OBE FRAeS, who after gaining his pilots wings joined No 74 Squadron in March 1968, which was then based at RAF Tengah, Singapore. During his tour he took one Lightning up to 87,800 feet with the aid of a passing Victor tanker. He later converted to Phantom aircraft serving with No 23 Squadron and 228 OCU.