After the success of the first series, it was decided to launch a second series and in doing so getting another 50 of 'the few' to take part making a total of 100 airmen. The second series consists of 50 photographs of Battle of Britain airmen with no repetition from the first series and is entitled 'Salute to the Few'

Learning from the first series we decided to step up production as the average age of the pilots and aircrew was somewhere in the region of 85, quite remarkable bearing in mind of what they went through in 1940!  There are a great number of overseas pilots in this series, which was always one of my original aims (sending items overseas costs more in terms of postage and also HM customs charges). The series is now complete and incorporates some highly sought after signatures.

Each photograph follows the same format at the earlier series and each hand signed by the airman depicted. The photographs are all from the 1939-1945 period and once again we have attempted to source the best photograph possible. All are hand-signed and Limited Editions of just 200 and numbered and certified on reverse and accompanied by a brief career history. In addition to the 200 sets there were also ten presentation sets produced (numbered PP0 through to PP9). 

There is also a special Battle of Britain album in a brown leather-look finish to accompany the series.

Here is a list of all those produced in this series to act as a reference:

SP(SF)01 - Wing Commander Thomas Francis Neil DFC* AFC
Neil joined the RAFVR on October 17 1938, he joined 249 Squadron on May 15 1940 at its reformation at Church Fenton. He scored most of his 13 victories during the Battle of Britain and was awarded the DFC (8.10.40) and a Bar (26.11.40) and made a Flight Commander in December. In May 1941 he went with 249 to Malta, leaving on December 26 1941 and returned to the UK. Neil was posted to 81 Group as Tactics Officer. He went to 56 OTU in mid-June and on September 1 1942 he took command of 41 Squadron. In July 1943 he was posted to 53 OTU, as an instructor and later went to the 9th US Air Force, as Flying Liaison Officer with the 100th Fighter Wing. After D-Day Neil did some operational flying in France. He was awarded the Bronze Star (US)(2.8.49) and the AFC (2.1.56). He retired from the RAF in 1964.

SP(SF)02 - Wing Commander Kenneth William Mackenzie DFC AFC AE
In 1935 Mackenzie learnt to fly at the North of Ireland Aero Club and in early 1939 joined the RAFVR. Called up at the outbreak of war, and with his training completed he joined 43 Squadron at Usworth on September 21. After sixteen training flights and two operational patrols, Ken was posted to 501 Squadron at Kenley on the 29th. He became famous over night when on the 7 October 1940 Mackenzie attacked an Bf 109 with no apparent result. He followed it down to almost sea level and when it did not ditch he struck the tailplane with his wing and the enemy fighter crashed into the sea, he then made a forced-landing outside Folkestone. He went on to claim a total of 16 victories, before he was shot down by flak on 29 September 1941 and taken PoW.  Awarded the AFC (1.1.53), he retired from the RAF on July 1 1967.

SP(SF)03 - Squadron Leader Hubert Paul Frederick Patten
He joined the RAF on a short service commission in October 1937. He joined 79 Squadron at Biggin Hill on August 20, and was posted to 64 Squadron at Church Fenton in April 1939. Over Dunkirk on May 31 1940, Patten claimed a Bf 110 destroyed and, flying from Kenley on July 10, he claimed another. On September 16 1940 he joined the newly-formed 307 Squadron at Kirton-in-Lindsey, a Polish night-fighter unit with Defiants, as a Flight Commander. In May 1941 Patten moved to 604 Squadron at Middle Wallop. In the early hours of July 5 1941 he intercepted and shot down a He 111, which crashed in  Somerset. He was released from the RAF in October 1945. Patten then rejoined the RAF, in the Fighter Control Branch. He retired on May 28 1964, as a Flight Lieutenant, retaining the rank of Squadron Leader. 

SP(SF)04 - Squadron Leader John Anderson
Anderson joined the RAF on June 6 1940 and having learnt about airborne radar he was posted to 604 Squadron without ever having flown. He flew operationally with 604, firstly in Blenheims and then Beaufighters, until December 1940, when he did another radar course.  In January 1941 Anderson was posted to a radar station in Scotland before attending No 1 Radio School at Cranwell in May, as an instructor, initially as a Corporal but became a Sergeant in March 1942. Anderson volunteered for pilot training and was accepted in September 1942. In 1943 he was deputy controller at a small radar station on the Yorkshire coast. In September 1943 Anderson began his pilot training but with inevitable delays awaiting courses, he had still not qualified when training was terminated in April 1945. Commissioned from Warrant Officer in June 1955, Anderson retired from the RAF on January 31 1973.

SP(SF)05 - Squadron Leader Kenneth Lusty
On February 24 1940 Lusty joined 235 Squadron, as a Coastal Command Squadron, the need for Wop/AGs in the crews meant that Lusty was posted away on May 14, to 25 Squadron at North Weald. He served with the squadron throughout the Battle of Britain first flying Blenhiems and then Beaufighters. He retrained as a Radio Observer and was commissioned in May 1941 and on July 16 he joined 1453 Flight, equipped with Turbinlite Havocs. On April 2 1943 he join 410 (RCAF) Squadron at equipped with Mosquitos. Lusty and his pilot were both posted to 406 (RCAF) Squadron on August 25, but Lusty was posted once the squadron became all-Canadian in October to join 264 Squadron equipped with Mosquitos on October 9 1943. He was posted to 132 Squadron at Vavuyina, Ceylon on November 28 1944, as Adjutant. He moved to BHQ, Colombo on June 23 1945, as Senior Admin Officer. He was released from the RAF on January 21 1946.

SP(SF)06 - Warrant Officer Peter Rich
Rich volunteered for air crew duties in the RAF in October 1939. After being awarded his air gunner’s badge he was posted to 25 Squadron in June 1940. He then joined 8 BAF, and then on to OTUs at Kinloss and Whitby. Around August 1941 Rich was posted to join the newly formed 458 Squadron RAAF at Holme-on-Spalding Moor equipped with Wellingtons. In early 1942 he left 458 when it left for the Middle East and did an air gunnery instructor’s course. Course finished he was posted to Dalcross, near Inverness as an instructor, later instructing at Castle Kennedy. Later in the war he went to Ireland to instructor at Bishops Count. Rich left the RAF in early 1946.

SP(SF)07 - Group Captain Billy Drake DSO DFC*
Drake joined No 1 Squadron in May 1937 and went with the squadron to France in September 1939 and during April/May 1940 scored around 5 victories before being shot down, wounded and flown back to England. After a short spell as a flying instructor, he was posted to 213 Squadron on October 2 1940, and three weeks later he joined 421 Flight, as a Flight Commander. He was awarded the DFC (7.1.41). In October he formed and commanded 128 Squadron in West Africa, then commanded 112 Squadron. Awarded a Bar to the DFC (28.7.42) and the DSO (4.12.42). He took command of the Spitfire Wing in Malta in June 1943. He received the DFC (US)(22.10.43) and was appointed Wing Leader 20 Wing, Typhoons, in late November. He took part in the first Battle of Britain flypast in September 1945. His final score card was 24 victories and he retired from the RAF on July 1 1963.

SP(SF)08 - Flight Lieutenant Roy Ford AE
Ford joined 41 Squadron on December 15 1939 flying Spitfires. He probably destroyed a Bf 109 on September 5 1940 and on the 7th he made a forced-landing after a combat, but fortunately was not hurt. Commissioned in November 1940, he was posted to 4 Delivery Flight, Grangemouth on Apri15 1941 but volunteered for the Merchant Ship Fighter Unit (MSFU), then about to be formed. He joined the unit on May 23 and served on North Atlantic and Gibraltar convoys. He went to Hawker’s at Langley on June 23 1942 as a production test pilot and on June 17 1943 he was posted to a course to No 1 Empire Test Pilots’ School at Boscombe Down, after which he joined 20 MU, Aston Down as a test pilot. He was released from the RAF on October 23 1945 and commissioned again in the RAFVR from September 1947 until May 11 1952.

SP(SF)09 - Flight Lieutenant Wilfred Skinner DFM
Skinner was the son of a WWI RFC pilot. He joined the RAFVR in April 1937 and accrued sufficient flying hours and ability to be recommended for a full-time training period with the regular RAF. In June 1939 he joined 74 Squadron at Hornchurch. Over Dunkirk on May 24, he shot down a Ju 88 and damaged a He 111 and on the 27th he destroyed a Do 17. He shared a He 111 on July 8, destroyed a Bf 109 on the 3lst, shot down a Bf 110, shared two others and damaged another on August 11 and destroyed a Do 17 and damaged another on the 13th. During a routine patrol on August 30, he collided with another pilot and baled out, unhurt. On November 2 he destroyed a Bf 109 and on the 14th two Ju 87s. He was awarded the DFM (21.12.40). In March 1941 he was posted to 59 OTU, as an instructor. He was commissioned in May and rejoined 74 Squadron on June 10 1941. He was shot down on July 6 1941, while attacking shipping near Gravelines and was later reported to be a PoW. He was released from the RAF in 1946.

SP(SF)10 - Wing Commander Gordon Leonard Sinclair OBE DFC
Sinclair joined 19 Squadron on 27 November 1937, 1940 he was still with the squadron and saw action over Dunkirk destroying a number of aircraft. He was awarded the DFC (25.6.40). In late June he was posted to 310 (Czech) Squadron as A Flight Commander and claimed 4 more victories. On 9 September he was involved in a collision with another aircraft and forced to bale out.  On 29 September he was shot down by a Bf 109 in an engagement but baled out unhurt. He was awarded the Czech Military Cross (24.12.40). In January 1941 he was posted to HQ 12 Group on staff duties. He then formed and commanded 313 Squadron in May 1941. He took command of 79 Squadron in September and led it until posted to Air Ministry in December. He was given command of 56 Squadron at Bradwell Bay in October 1943 and was promoted to Wing Commander in May 1944 and joined the staff at HQ 84 Group. In January 1945 he returned to the Air Ministry and in October was appointed Personal Air Secretary to the Secretary of State for Air. He was also awarded the Order of King George of Podograd by the Czechs in recognition of his wartime efforts.

SP(SF)11- Air Commodore Archie Little Winskill KCVO CBE DFC*
From September 1939 to June 1940, Winskill was a staff pilot at BGS, Catfoss. After converting to Spitfires he was posted to 72 Squadron on October 4, moving to 603 Squadron on the 17th. He claimed a Bf 109 probably destroyed on the 28th, shared a He 111 on November 21 and two CR 42s destroyed on the 23rd. In January 1941 Winskill was posted to 41 Squadron at Hornchurch and later became a Flight Commander. He destroyed a Bf 109 on August 14 and later in the month was shot down near Calais. With the help of the French Resistance, he evaded capture and returned to England in December 1941, via Spain and Gibraltar. He was awarded the DFC (6.1.42), being then credited with at least 3 enemy aircraft destroyed. He was made a CBE (11.6.60) and retired from the RAF on December 18 1968. He was Captain of the Queen's Flight from 1968 to 1972 and was created a KCVO in 1980.

SP(SF)12 - Air Commodore John Lawrence Wemyss Ellacombe CB DFC*
Ellacombe was posted to 151 Squadron on July 13 1940 having never flown a Hurricane. On August 24 he shot down a He 111 over and on the 30th he forced-landed his damaged Hurricane just before the He 111 he had shot down crashed in the adjoining field. The next day his aircraft was hit by return fire from a Ju 88 and he baled out as the gravity tank exploded and was admitted to Hospital with burns. He rejoined the squadron in late December 1940, and stayed with 151 until February 1942 when he was promoted to Acting Flight Lieutenant and posted to 253 Squadron, as a Flight Commander. Awarded the DFC (7.4.42), he probably destroyed a Do 217 on July 28, co-operating with a Turbinlite Havoc of 1459 Flight. During the Dieppe Raid on August 19 1942, his aircraft was hit by flak on a ground attack sortie and parachuted into the sea and rescued. In July 1943 he rejoined 151 Squadron and later flew with 487 RNZAF Squadron, and was awarded a Bar to the DFC (29.12.44).

SP(SF)13 - Air Commodore Eric William Wright CBE DFC DFM
Wright joined 605 Squadron in July 1940 and having scored numerous victories during the Battle of Britain he was awarded the DFM (26.11.40) and was commissioned in December 1940. He went to the Far East with the squadron in December 1941 and in January 1942 he was posted to 232 Squadron at Seletar, Singapore, as a Flight Commander. He took command of the squadron when the CO was killed on February 7 1942. Soon afterwards, Wright was given the job of reforming 605 Squadron from the remnants of 258 and 488 Squadrons. He was captured by the Japanese in early March and released at the end of the war.  He was awarded the DFC (1.10.46) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services rendered during operations against the Japanese in Malaya and the Netherlands East Indies, terminating in March 1942. He walked in Churchill's funeral procession, was made a CBE (1.1.64) and retired from the RAF in 1973.

SP(SF)14 - Squadron Leader Stuart Nigel Rose
Rose joined 602 Squadron on 18 June 1940. He claimed a Bf 110 destroyed on August 25 and on September 7 he shared a Bf 110. He was injured on the 9th and began flying again on October 7 and claimed a Bf 109 destroyed on the 29th. He was posted to 54 Squadron at Hornchurch on September 2 1941. Tour-expired, he went to 57 OTU, on November 12, as an instructor and then a course at CFS, Hullavington on November 11 1942, before returning to 57 OTU, on February 11 1943. He went to CGS, Sutton Bridge on June 2 for a gunnery instructor's course and returned to 57 OTU on July 1. He was posted to 15 APC, Peterhead on January 10 1944, moving later to 14 APC, Ayr. He went to the Middle East on July 1, to HGS, El Ballah and returned to the UK in late May 1945 for a gunnery instructor's course at CGS, Catfoss before going back to El Ballah in July.  He returned to the UK in December and was released from the RAF in February 1946.

SP(SF)15 - Wing Commander David George Samuel Richardson Cox DFC*
Cox joined 19 Squadron at Duxford on May 23 1940. He scored a number victories before being shot down and wounded on the 27 August. On June 27 1941 he shot down a Bf 109 but during the engagement his Spitfire was badly damaged and he made a crash-landing at Dungeness. He was posted away from 19 Squadron on September 12 to instruct at 57 OTU, Hawarden. He went to CFS, Upavon for two weeks in October on an instructor's course. In May 1942 Cox joined 72 Squadron at Biggin Hill and went with the squadron to North Africa in November 1942, then Gibraltar and Algeria, then he was made a Flight Commander and awarded the DFC (16.2.43). Tour expired on April 26 1943 and he was posted back to the UK. From June to August 1943 he gave talks at factories, after which he became a Tactics Liaison Officer, instructing American pilots. He was awarded a Bar to the DFC (9.7.43).

SP(SF)16 - Wing Commander Richard Gordon Battensby Summers OBE AFM
Summers joined the RAF in April 1939 as a direct-entry Airman u/t Observer. On December 4 1939 he was posted to join 242 Squadron, then equipped with Blenheims. He went to 219 Squadron at Catterick on April 16 1940. On September 28 he left to join the Ferry Pool and Defence Flight in West Africa. In early July 1941 his aircraft made a wheels-up forced-landing on a beach in Liberia. To escape internment, he walked 48 miles in bare feet before putting out to sea and being picked up by a British merchantman on the 5th and was awarded the AFM (1.1.42) for evading. Commissioned in May 1942, he was posted back to the UK, where he was appointed Bombing Leader on Hudsons at 1 (Coastal) OTU on October 12. He was posted to 48 Squadron at Gibraltar on May 22 1943, as Bombing Leader. He returned to the UK and on March 1 1944 became Bombing Leader at 1 APC, before holding a number of Armament Office positions until the end of the war. From 1953 to 1956 he was Deputy Station Commander at RAF East Leigh, Kenya, during the Mau Mau Emergency for which he was made an OBE (6.3.56).

SP(SF)17 - Squadron Leader Norman Edward Hancock DFC
Hancock joined 65 Squadron at Hornchurch on September 3, moving on to 152 Squadron at Warmwell on October 10. He probably destroyed a Bf 110 off the Isle of Wight on November 28. He was posted to 56 OTU, Sutton Bridge on October 22 1941, as an instructor, and went to 55 OTU, Usworth on February 2 1942. Hancock went to Northern Ireland on July 11 to instruct at the 52nd Pursuit Group, USAAF. He returned to operations on October 18 1942, when he joined 128 Squadron at Hastings, Sierra Leone, as a Flight Commander. Back in the UK, Hancock was posted to 198 Squadron at Matlask on April 27 1943 and was with it until July 15, when he went to 56 Squadron at Martlesham Heath, as a Flight Commander. Tour-expired on May 31 1944, Hancock was posted to 85 Group and awarded the DFC (23.6.44). 

SP(SF)18 - Squadron Leader George Herman Bennions DFC
Bennions started life in the RAF as an LAC Engine Fitter in 1931, after being accepted as a pilot he joined 41 Squadron in Aden, as a Sergeant-Pilot in January 1936. He was commissioned in April 1940 and was with 41 Squadron at the start of the Battle of Britain. On July 28 and 29 1940 he claimed Bf 109s destroyed, but was shot down on the 29th. On August 15 he claimed a Bf 110 and another damaged, on September 5 a Ju 88 destroyed, a Bf 109 probably destroyed and a Ju 88 damaged. On the 6th he claimed two Bf 109s shot down and on the 7th his undercarriage collapsed on landing. Another Bf 109 was claimed on the 9th and a Bf 110 damaged on the 11th. A Bf 109 was claimed as destroyed and a Do 17 damaged on the 15th, a Bf 109 shot down on the 17th and a Bf 109 destroyed, two more probably destroyed and one damaged on the 18th. He destroyed another Bf 109 on the 23rd, probably two more on the 28th and his final victory, another Bf 109, came on October 1 1940. On this day, in combat with Bf 109s, he had a cannon shell explode in his cockpit, blinding him in one eye and wounding his right arm and leg. He baled out and after emergency treatment at he was transferred to Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead. After undergoing plastic surgery by Archie McIndoe, he became one of the famous Guinea Pigs and awarded the DFC (1.10.40). When fully recovered, he was given a A2B non-operational category, which allowed him to only fly during the day. 

SP(SF)19 - Group Captain Arthur Montagu-Smith
Montagu-Smith joined 99 Squadron on February 29 1936 and was appointed Adjutant in 1938. The squadron was the first to receive Wellingtons and he flew the squadron's first sortie to the German coast in October 1939. In November he was posted to the Special Duty flight at the A&AEE, Boscombe Down. In April 1940 he went to CGS, Warmwell as a flight Commander and later joined 264 Squadron on September 11 as A Flight Commander. In December 1940 he was promoted to Squadron Leader and posted to 221 Squadron, as a Flight Commander. He carried out the first Coastal Command Wellington attack on a German U-boat in the Atlantic in May 1941. He then went to a staff job at HQ 18 Group in October 1941. A year later he took command of 248 Squadron, operating Beaufighters on long-range fighter patrols. In February 1944 he joined the RAF Delegation in Washington, as Deputy Director RAF Operational Training USA. He returned to the UK and in July 1945 was appointed OC 104 Wing in France, with PR Mosquitos.

SP(SF)20 - Squadron Leader Herbert Edward Green MBE
In early October Green joined 141 Squadron equipped with Gladiators. The squadron re-equipped with Defiants from early 1940 and began escorting convoys in the North Sea. After the decimation of 141 Squadron on July 19 1940, it moved to Prestwick to reform as a night- fighter unit and its Defiants were exchanged for Beaufighters in August 1941. Promoted to Warrant Officer on April 1 1941 he was posted to CFS, Upavon in January 1942 to take an instructors course. Commissioned in November 1942, Green was a QFI at various flying schools until April 1945, when he was seconded to the Air Mission to Turkey. He returned from there to England in November 1945 and was posted to No 1 FTS, Spitalgate. MBE (31.5.56).

SP(SF)21 - Flight Lieutenant Alan George Burdekin AE JP
Burdekin joined the RAFVR as an Airman u/t Wop/AG and was called up on September 1 and posted to 266 Squadron in October which was equipped with Battles.  He was posted to 9 Air Observers' School in November and after qualifying as an LAC Air Gunner, he rejoined 266 in January 1940. He moved to 264 Squadron in February and spent 8 weeks in an Experimental Flight during April/May. He was promoted to Sergeant in June and then posted to 5 OTU, Aston Down, to convert to Blenheims.  On July 7 1940 he joined 600 Squadron. He was posted to 10 Signals School at Blackpool on September 21, for a wireless course and then went to 2 Electrical and Wireless School during January to March 1941, qualifying as a wireless operator. He then rejoined 600 Squadron and remained with it until July 16, when he joined the 125 Squadron with Defiants and on October 13 1941 Burdekin was posted to 278 (ASR) Squadron. In March 1944 he was posted to 577 Squadron on anti-aircraft co-operation duties. 

SP(SF)22 - Wing Commander George Cecil Unwin DSO DFM*
 In 1938 when 19 Squadron's Spitfires arrived Unwin became one of the first Sergeant-Pilots to fly this now legendary aircraft.  In May/June 1940 he flew patrols over Dunkirk and during the Battle of Britain was credited with 14 victories. He was awarded the DFM (1.10.40) and Bar to the DFM (6.12.40). His Spitfire was decorated with the Popeye spinach-eating motif and the words 'Mein Punch'. On 29 December Unwin went to 2 CFS, Cranwell for an instructor's course followed by a posting to 16 EFTS, Derby on 23 February 1941. He was commissioned from Warrant Officer in July 1941 and moved to 2 FIS, Montrose on 3 March 1942. He instructed there until 19 October 1943, when he was posted to 12 (P) AFU, Grantham to convert to Mosquitos. After a spell at 60 OTU, High Ercall Unwin joined 613 Squadron at Lasham on 5 April 1944. With his tour completed he went to CGS, Catfoss on 30 October 1944 and moved to CGS, Leconfield on 18 November 1945. Post war he led 84 Squadron in Malaya for which he was awarded the DSO (21.3.52). 

SP(SF)23 - Wing Commander Peter Lawrence Parrott DFC* AFC
Parrott joined 607 Squadron in France in January 1940 and in May claimed a number of victories before being posted to 145 Squadron at Tangmere and in action again over Dunkirk.  He was posted to 605 Squadron on September 27, awarded the DFC (22.10.40) and in December he was jumped by a Bf 109 and he was forced to bale out. He was posted to CFS, Upavon on April 21 1941, for an instructor's course, after which he went to 9 FTS, Hullavington on May 26. He moved to 5(P)AFU, Tern Hill on March 22 1942 to instruct and joined the Handling Squadron on September 1 to prepare pilots notes. As a preliminary for a return to operations, he went to 57 OTU on May 11 1943, for air-firing practice before joining 501 Squadron on June 1.  He was posted overseas on July 16 1943, arriving in Malta on August 1 and then joined 72 Squadron in Sicily on the 10th, as a supernumerary. A week later he went to 111 Squadron, as a Flight Commander. He was given command of 43 Squadron in Italy on October 13 1943 and led the squadron until March 1944, when he was posted to the Middle East. After a course at the Air Bombing and Gunnery School in April, he was appointed OC Gunnery at 73 OTU, Abu Sueir on May 2. He returned to Italy in early November 1944 and took command of 72 Squadron on the 11th. He was posted away to HQ Desert Air Force, Italy on February 15 1945 and was awarded a Bar to the DFC (20.3.45). He then became Group Training Inspector, Fighters and later Wing Commander Ops returning to the UK in June 1946.

SP(SF)24 - Wing Commander Hugh John Sherard Beazley DFC FCA
Beazley was posted to 249 Squadron when it reformed at Church Fenton on May 16 1940. On July 8 he shared a Ju 88 and claimed a Bf 109 destroyed on August 8. He was shot down in flames in combat over Rochester on September 2 by a Bf 110.  On September 7 he shared a Bf 110 and destroyed a Do 17 on the l5th, but received a bullet wound in the foot on the 27th. In May 1941 249 Squadron sailed for Malta, arriving there on the 21st. On June 8 he shared a probable Fiat BR 20 and on December 21 he damaged a Bf 109.  On December 26 he assumed command of 249 when the CO was wounded. On January 19 1942 his Hurricane was hit by ground fire during a strike on Comiso airfield and was forced to make a crash-landing. He was posted away from the squadron on February 16 1942 and later served with 89 Squadron, as a Flight Commander. He was awarded the DFC (7.3.44) and released from the RAF in 1946.

SP(SF)25 - Air Commodore Christopher John Mount CBE DSO DFC DL
In May 1939 Mount was appointed Personal Assistant to Air Vice-Marshal R.E. Saul at HQ 13 Group, Newcastle. After attending 6 OTU in July 1940 he joined 602 Squadron on August 10 1940. He was awarded the DFC (26.11.40), being then credited with 2 enemy aircraft destroyed and 3 others damaged. In January 1941 he formed and commanded 317 Squadron before commanding 260 Squadron in April 1941.  In May the squadron was posted overseas travelling aboard HMS Victorious and HMS Ark Royal they arrived at Malta on June 14 1941 before flying to Egypt. He took command of 238 Squadron in the Western Desert on March 1 1942. Later in the year, he went on a Wellington conversion course and then joined 70 Squadron, as a supernumerary Flight Commander. He was posted to 104 Squadron in Egypt in early 1943, and commanded the squadron when the CO fell ill. After completing his tour, he was awarded the DSO (1.10.43) and became operations officer for a Liberator/Halifax Wing, later serving as a staff officer at HQ Middle East. he attended the RAF Staff College, Haifa in 1945. He was made a CBE (2.1.56) .

SP(SF)26 - Flight Sergeant John Keatings
In September 1935 he joined 45 Squadron in Egypt, and began training as an Armourer/Air Gunner. His flight was later transferred to 6 Squadron, which was operating in Palestine. He returned to the UK in 1937 and was posted to 21 Squadron. He went to No 1 Air Armament School in November 1937, to convert to Fitter-Armourer. He joined 269 Squadron in March 1939, a general reconnaissance unit with Ansons based in Scotland. At the outbreak of war the squadron carried out anti-U-boat patrols and in December he was posted to the newly formed 219 Squadron flying Blenheim escorting convoys in the English Channel. In January 1940 he was sent on a Gunnery Leader's course, returning to the squadron when successfully completed. He spent the remainder of the war as a Gunnery Instructor and Armament Instructor.

SP(SF)27 - Flight Lieutenant Denis Norman Robinson
Robinson was posted to 152 Squadron on June 21 1940. He probably destroyed a Bf 109 on July 25 and destroyed another on August 5, but was shot down by Bf 109s on the 8th.  On August 15 he claimed a Bf 109 destroyed, on the 17th a Ju 87 and on September 4 a Ju 88. On September 26 he was posted away to CFS Upavon and from October 7 he was instructing at 6 FTS. Commissioned in January 1941, he remained there until November 17 1941, when he was sent to instruct in Canada, firstly at 39 SFTS, then briefly at 35 SFTS, and finally at 32 OTU, until June 19 1944 when he returned to the UK. He then went to 109 OTU, Crosby on August 27 to convert to transport aircraft and on March 1 1945 he was seconded to BOAC at Whitechurch. He was released from the RAF in 1946 and joined BOAC, later flying for British Caledonian and British Island Airways before retiring in 1978.

SP(SF)28 - Squadron Leader Noel Henry Corry DFC AE
Corry joined 25 Squadron on June 26 1940 and remained with the squadron until January 29 1941, when he was posted away to the Special Duties Flight, 72 Group. On February 19 1943 Corry went to 18(P)AFU for training in precision night landings, then on to 2 FIS, Montrose for a flying instructor's course, after which he was posted to 14(P)AFU as a Flight Commander flying instructor, on Oxfords. On March 14 1944 Corry went to 30 OTU on Wellingtons, to prepare for operational flying in heavy bombers. He moved to 1656 Halifax Conversion Unit, Lindholrne, where he joined a crew, who had lost their skipper. Two weeks at the No 1 Lancaster Finishing School he and his crew then joined 12 Squadron as a Squadron Leader and 'A' Flight Commander. He went to HQ Bomber Command Air Staff, attached to HQ No 1 Group, as Air Crew Safety and Rescue Officer. He was awarded the DFC (8.12.44).

SP(SF)29 - Flight Lieutenant Leslie Henry Allen
Allen remustered as a u/t Air Gunner on June 1 1940 and went to No 1 AAS, Manby on the 22nd for a gunnery course, after which he moved to 5 OTU on July 6 to convert to Defiants. On August 6 1940 he joined 141 Squadron and served with the squadron until August 5 1941, when he was posted to 410 (RCAF) Squadron, then forming with Defiants. Whilst with the squadron, he went to CGS, Sutton Bridge for a Gunnery Leader's course. On March 5 1942 he joined 96 Squadron, again on night duties with Defiants. When the squadron converted to Beaufighters in May/June 1942, the air gunners were posted away and he to 281 (ASR) Squadron. Commissioned in August 1942, he applied for pilot training and was accepted and in November he went to ITW followed by EFTS at Torquay in April 194 3. In May he was posted to Canada where he did his elementary training and gained his wings on November 11 1943. After returning to the UK, he served as staff pilot at navigation training schools.

SP(SF)30 - Wing Commander John Reginald Cass Young AFC
Young was posted on July 13 1939 as an instructor and adjutant to 41 Squadron and then posted to 603 Squadron. He joined 249 Squadron at its reformation on May 16 1940. He made a forced-landing on July 20, following an engine failure, but escaped unhurt. After the Battle of Britain he had a roving commission, assisting newly-formed squadrons. In November 1940 he went to 308 Squadron at Baginton, in March 1941 to 317 Squadron and in April to 406 Squadron. He later commanded 289 Squadron and Station Commander at RAF Kirknewton. He was awarded the AFC (1.1.42) and in May 1942 he joined 96 Squadron until November when he was posted to HQ Fighter Command, to teach flight operations to fighter squadron flight commanders. In June 1943 he went to 29 Squadron for Mosquito training and then joined 264 Squadron. At the end of 1943 he was posted overseas and joined 108 Squadron in Egypt. In March 1944 he was given temporary command of 153 Squadron in Algeria. On July 15 1944 he became CO of 108 Squadron and appointed OC Mediterranean Night-Fighting Force and received a Mention in Despatches (15.7.44). 

SP(SF)31 - Flying Officer Frederick James Barker DFM*
Barker joined the RAFVR in April 1939 as an Airman u/t Wop/AG and called up on 1 September 1939, he joined 264 Squadron on its reformation. Over Dunkirk Barker destroyed three Bf 109s and forced the remainder to break off the attack, the following day they succeeded in shooting down two Ju 87s and a Bf 110 followed by a He 111 on 31 May and another shared. Awarded an immediate DFM (14.6.40) which mentioned destruction of six enemy aircraft.  On 24 August destroyed a Ju 88s, two days later destroyed two Do 17s and a Bf 109, but were hit during the engagement and had to bale out of the blazing Defiant. For this action awarded a Bar to the DFM (11.2.41). He destroyed a He 111 at night on 9 April 1941. By October 1941 he had scored thirteen victories and remained with 264 until 1942, and was then posted to the Middle East as an air gunnery instructor.  It is believed that Barker is the highest scoring air gunner of the war.

SP(SF)32 - Wing Commander Thomas Bernard Fitzgerald DFC
 Fitzgerald joined the RNZAF on 8 June 1937, and the following year sailed for UK and joined 103 Squadron in June. At the end of the year the squadron converted to Fairey Battles and went to France on 2 September 1939, as part of the Advanced Air Striking Force. On 12 May 1940 he was leading a section of three Battles, as part of a bomber force attacking bridges and roads, despite being attacked by Bf 110s they flew along the Meuse and bombed from twenty feet while their gunners fired at German troops. Two days later, he shot down two Bf 109s and was wounded by return fire and forced to crash land, returning to England in a hospital ship. Awarded the DFC (13.6.40), he volunteered for Fighter Command and on 10 August was posted to 141 Squadron as a Flight Commander. He later served with 23 Squadron, 607 Squadron as a Flight Commander and 41 Squadron. In late February 1942 he went to Hawker Aircraft as a test pilot. He returned to New Zealand in late January 1943 and given command of 14 (RNZAF) Squadron. He returned to the UK and in November went to De Havilland's as a test pilot. He returned to operations on 11 June, when he was made Wing Leader at Coltishall. He was posted to HQ 2nd TAF in January 1945 and transferred back to the RNZAF in February 1946.

SP(SF)33 - Squadron Leader Kenneth Norman Thomson Lee DFC
At the outbreak of war Lee joined 501 Squadron and went to France on 10 May 1940 claiming a Bf 110 destroyed the same day. On the 12th he destroyed a Do 17 and on the 13th a Bf 110. The squadron was withdrawn from France on 18 June. He claimed a He 111 destroyed on 27 May and a Do 17 on 6 June. Four days later, attacking some He 111s, his Hurricane was hit and he baled out over France and evacuated back to the UK. He damaged a Ju 87 on 29 July and claimed another destroyed on 12 August. He was shot down on the 18th by Oberleutnant Schopfel and baled out. He was awarded the DFC (22.10.40) and in November he was posted to the Special Duties Flight. In December 1941 he went to the Middle East and served with 112 Squadron in the Western Desert, as a Flight Commander. He moved to 260 Squadron in September 1942 and destroyed a Mc 202. He took command of 123 Squadron at Abadan, Persia in March 1943. The squadron went to the Western Desert in May and on July 27 1943 Lee was shot down and captured on a dawn raid on Crete and was later taken to Stalag Luft III.

SP(SF)34 - Flight Lieutenant John Peter Botwell Greenwood
Greenwood joined the RAF in February 1939 and with training completed, he joined 253 Squadron in October. On 16 May 1940 the squadron flew to France and he destroyed a Bf 109 on the 19th. The squadron returned to the UK on the 21st after heavy losses. On 30 August he destroyed a He 111. He was posted to 5 FTS, Sealand in December 1940, as an instructor. In February 1941 he went to Turnhouse, where 59 OTU was being formed. The OTU moved in March to Crosby-on-Eden. He volunteered for MSFU and boarded the Empire Fame on 18 June. He was posted to 55 OTU, Usworth in November and went to 615 Squadron in February 1942. The squadron left for India in March arriving in June.  In January 1943 he was posted to 17 Squadron at Alipore, as a Flight Commander. He went to 151 OTU, Risalpur in April. He joined 9 (IAF) Squadron in February 1944 and in July went to a job in the War Room at 221 Group. He volunteered for Visual Control Post duties, concerning the front line direction of strike aircraft on to specific targets in support of the Army. He did a parachute-jumping course and was attached to an Airborne artillery brigade and took part in operations in Indonesia after the war against the Japanese ended.

SP(SF)35 - Wing Commander Jack Rose CMG MBE DFC
Rose joined the RAF on a short service commission in October 1938. With training completed he joined 3 Squadron. He went with the squadron to France, when it was attached to 63 Wing for ten days during the fighting between 10-20 May 1940. Whilst in France he destroyed three enemy aircraft. On 17 July 1940 ‘B’ Flight, 3 Squadron became 232 Squadron and Rose was one the pilots who joined the newly formed squadron. On 22 August 1940 he was posted to 32 Squadron. He was shot down over the Channel by a Bf 109 on the 25th and baled out and rescued from the sea. He was awarded the DFC (9.10.42) as a Acting Squadron Leader at Exeter, and the citation states that he had led fifteen 15 fighter sweeps over France and rendered valuable assistance to allied wing commanders. He was then posted to commanded 184 Squadron on 1 December 1942. He commanded 113 Squadron in Burma from November 1944 to May 1945.

SP(SF)36 - Group Captain Richard Cummins Haine OBE DFC
Haine joined the RAF in August 1935 and he joined 25 Squadron on 10 May 1936. He was in the squadron aerobatics team at the 1937 Hendon Air Display. On 28 November he flew one of six Blenheims of 25 Squadron to attack the seaplane base at Borkum, the first fighter attack of the war on Germany. He probably destroyed a He 59 on the water and on 1 April 1940 he was posted to 600 Squadron. On 10 May he flew one of the six Blenheims which attacked Waalhaven airfield, Rotterdam in daylight and claimed a Bf 109 destroyed and two Ju 52s damaged on the ground before he was shot down. He evaded capture and returned to England and was awarded the DFC (9.7.40). On 14 January 1941 he was posted to 68 Squadron as a Flight Commander. He moved to HQ 9 Group on 21 June, as Squadron Leader Night Ops, and on 31 December he took command of 96 Squadron, reverting to Flight Commander on 18 May 1942. He was posted to HQ Fighter Command on 24 March 1943, as Squadron Leader Night Training and then Wing Commander, OC Training Wing at 54 OTU on 12 June 1943. On 2 January 1944 he was given command of 488 (RNZAF) Squadron. He destroyed a Ju 88 during the night of 4/5 August and a Ju 188 on 1/2 September. He moved to HQ 85 Group on 23 October 1944 and on 29 December took command of 147 Wing. He was made OC RAF Winfield on 19 March 1945. He was briefly Station Commander at RAF Eshott in May, SOA at 302 Wing, Ibsley in June and in early July he left for overseas and after several brief appointments in Hong Kong from early September 1945 to the end of the year later becoming Wing Commander Flying at Kai Tak.

SP(SF)37 - Flight Lieutenant Benjamin Bent DFC
Bent joined the RAF on 8 November 1937 and began a Wireless Operator Course in February 1938 and having completed the course was posted to Biggin Hill on 9 January 1939. In June 1940 he volunteered for aircrew duties and after a short radar course, he joined 25 Squadron on 6 August and began operational night-flying a few days later, as an LAC without a flying badge. On 27 September he was promoted to Sergeant, with the category of Wireless Operator (Air). On his first operational tour he assisted in five successful interceptions. On the night of 4/5 May 1941 he intercepted and damaged an unidentified enemy aircraft, on the 7/8th and 8/9th two Do 17s were destroyed, on the 11/12th a He 111 was damaged and during the night of 13/14 June a Ju 88 was destroyed. He remustered as a Radio Observer on 10 July 1941 and was posted to 54 OTU on 29 April 1942 as an instructor. On 23 July he was reclassified as a Navigator Radio and rejoined 25 Squadron on 8 September 1942. On 21 March 1944 he assisted in the destruction of two Ju 88s and at 00.43 hours on 6 June a Bf 110 over the Dutch Islands, believed to be the first enemy aircraft shot down on D-Day. Awarded the DFC (26.5.44), he then served as a Night Fighter Liaison Officer in France with P 61 Squadron USAF.

SP(SF)38 - Wing Commander Eric Gordon Barwell DFC* AE
Having joined the RAFVR in July 1938, Barwell was called up at the outbreak of war and posted to 2 FTS, Brize Norton. On 5 February he joined 264 Squadron and over Dunkirk he destroyed a Bf 110 and two Ju 87s on 29 May and a Bf l09 and a He 111 on the 31st. In the latter engagement, he was hit by return fire and turned for home but was unable to maintain height and landed on the sea between two destroyers.  Credited with the destruction of a Bf 109 on 24 August 1940 he was awarded the DFC (11.2.41). On the night of 10/11 April 1941 he shot down a He 111 and probably a second. Promoted to Acting Flight Lieutenant on 1 July 1941, he was posted to 125 Squadron as a Flight Commander. He took command of the squadron in December 1941 until February 1942. During the night of 1/2 July he damaged a Do 217. On 6 September he was posted to HQ 10 Group as Ops Night. He returned to 125 Squadron on 31 March 1943 as a Flight Commander. He shot down two Ju 88s during the nights of 23/24 Apri1 and 24/25 June and on 10 August 1944 he shot down a V-1 flying bomb over the sea. He was awarded a Bar to the DFC (15.8.44) and was posted to the Fighter Interception Unit on 18 August. A month later he went to the Main HQ 2nd TAF, as an Acting Wing Commander. He moved to 148 Wing on 4 April 1945 as Wing Commander Flying and took command of 264 Squadron in Germany in late June. 

SP(SF)39 - Squadron Leader James Chilton Francis Hayter DFC*
Hayter joined the RNZAF  in November 1938 and was awarded his wings on 19 April 1939. He sailed for the UK on 14 July 1939 and on arrival he was posted to 98 Squadron, which was equipped with Fairey Battles. He was posted to 103 Squadron in France. On 12 May 1940 he was flying one of three Battles attacking roads and bridges near Sedan. Although attacked by Bf 110s, they bombed a pontoon bridge from a height of 20 feet and succeeded in holding up German tanks for some hours. On 16 June he was shot down by a Bf 109 as he was about to land, but was unhurt. Later that day the squadron was withdrawn back to the UK.  He volunteered for Fighter Command and joined 615 Squadron on 4 September but moved to 605 Squadron on the 18th. On 15 October he damaged a Bf 109 and on the 26th, after damaging a Bf 109, he was himself shot down by another and baled out. On 1 December he destroyed a Bf 109 and was made a Flight Commander on 20 February 1941. He was posted away on 1 May to 52 OTU, Debden, as an instructor. In July 1941 he joined 611 Squadron and on 10 July he destroyed a Bf 109 but crash-landed on return having been badly damaged by flak. He destroyed Bf 109s on 14 July, 29 August and damaged another on 17 September. He was awarded the DFC (17.10.41). On 1 March 1942 he was given command of 274 Squadron at LG 92. He probably destroyed a Mc 202 on 10 July and destroyed a Bf 109 on the 18th. At the end of September he was posted to Turkey to instruct Turkish pilots. He went to Iran and took command of 74 Squadron on 1 April 1943. He received a Mention in Despatches (14.1.44) and a second (8.6.1944). In April 74 Squadron returned to the UK and he took the squadron to France on 19 August until 30 December, when he took a course at the Fighter Leaders' School. He was awarded a Bar to the DFC (26.1.45).

SP(SF)40 - Squadron Leader Dennis Lockhart Armitage DFC
Armitage joined the RAFVR at Hythe in December 1937, as an Airman u/t Pilot (741076). Called to full-time service on 1 September 1939, he completed his flying training at 2 FTS, Brize Norton. On 10 December 1939 he joined 266 Squadron. He was appointed 'A' Flight Commander on 3 August 1940. On the 12th he claimed the destruction of a Ju 88. He was posted from 266 in May 1941 and was awarded the DFC (18.7.41) for his service with the squadron. Promoted to Acting Squadron Leader, he took command of 129 Squadron on 20 June 194. On 21 September, on a Wing-escort for bombers attacking targets in France, he was hit and baled out and taken PoW. 

SP(SF)41 - Squadron Leader Alan Antill Gawith DFC
Gawith sailed for the UK on 20 May 1938 and went to 11 E&RFTS, Perth on 27 June for his ab initio training moving to 6 FTS, Little Rissington in September. On 15 April 1939 he joined 23 Squadron at Wittering. Flying from Ford on 11 October 1940 he damaged a Ju 88. On 8 March 1941, on an intruder flight over Beauvais aerodrome, he damaged a He 111 and a Do 17. In a bombing attack in early May he destroyed the entire telephone communication system of the German bomber group at Deume, near Eindhoven. Awarded the DFC (15.5.41), he was posted in June to command 1451 Flight operating with Turbinlite Havocs. In January 1942 he was posted to HQ 9 Group, Preston as Ops Night. He went to RAF Staff College in August 1943 and afterwards joined the staff at HQ ADGB to work on plans for the invasion of Europe. In mid-April 1944 he became Senior RAF Liaison Officer at the US 9th Air Defence Command. He crossed to France on 26 June, spent six weeks in the beach-head area and then remained in France with the Americans returning to England in December 1944 to command RAF Cleave. On August 2 1949 he received the Bronze Star (US) for his service in 1944.

SP(SF)42 - Flight Lieutenant George Maurice Baird
Baird sailed for the UK on 1 February 1939 and began his ab initio course at 10 E&RFTS, Yatesbury on 13 March and then  5 FTS, Sealand on 30 May joining the newly reformed 248 Squadron on 6 November 1939. The squadron was transferred from Fighter to Coastal Command in February 1940 but was seconded back in mid-June to carry out fighter patrols in support of 603 Squadron. He became 'B' Flight Commander and on the 20 October 1940 he was on a reconnaissance flight off the south-west coast of Norway, when after engaging and shooting down a Do 215, his Blenheim was attacked by three Bf 109s. One engine was put out of action and the cockpit filled with smoke. He dropped to low level, flying blind skimming the sea at a speed of 150 mph. The aircraft struck and fuselage filled with water. He freed himself and managed to open the and rescue one of his crew, but was unable to rescue the other. Meanwhile his Wop/AG managed to get out and launch the dinghy, later being picked up and made POWs.

SP(SF)43 - Flight Lieutenant John Walter Pye
Pye was on holiday in England when war broke out and was unable to return to New Zealand. He joined the RAF on 11 September, as an Airman u/t Air Gunner (902809) and after his initial training competed a gunnery course. He qualified on 2 March 1940 and was posted from HQ North Coates on March 27 to 236 Squadron as an AC Air Gunner. In May he joined 25 Squadron and was promoted to Sergeant on the 27th. After the arrival of airborne radar, he remustered as a Radio Observer and retrained with the squadron. Commissioned in May 1941, he was posted to 1453 Flight on 17 July, operating in Turbinlite Havocs. He moved to 1451 Flight on 24 February 1942 and then to 1452 Flight on 3 May. In September 1942 he finished flying duties and was posted to No 1 Air Armament School, Manby for a Specialist Armament Officers' course, after which he went to Gravesend as Station Armament Officer. On 31 January 1944 he went as Wing Armament Officer to 146 Wing, then forming with four squadrons of Typhoons.

SP(SF)44 - Flight Lieutenant Bernard Walter Brown
Brown applied for a short service commission in February 1938, and after being accepted left for England on 22 September. He began his training at 5 E&RFTS, Hanworth and in late January 1939 he was posted to 5FTS, Sealand. At the end of August he went to No 1 School of Army Co-Operation at Old Sarum for a course on Lysanders and then joined 613 Squadron. On the 26th Brown was flying one of six Hectors detailed to dive-bomb gun emplacements near Calais. En route, he test-fired his forward gun but the omission of a split pin caused the muzzle attachment to fly off, penetrate the fuselage and hole the main fuel tank he jettisoned his bombs and turned back and make a forced-landing. He volunteered for Fighter Command in August 1940 and after converting to Spitfires, joined 610 Squadron at Biggin Hill later in the month. On 20 September he went to 72 Squadron and three days later he was shot down by a Bf 109 and with no control over the aircraft and badly wounded he baled out. He returned to active duty on 29 November 1940 and was posted to 8FTS, Montrose for an instructor's course, after which he went to Rhodesia, subsequently instructing at Cumalo. He returned to England in early 1943 and did a Transport Command course and becoming a ferry pilot, flying between the United Kingdom and the Middle East. On 1 January 1944 he transferred to the RNZAF and at the end of the year was flying Halifaxes. He was released in 1945 to fly Dakotas with BOAC. He later joined BEA and flew with the airline until his retirement in 1972.

SP(SF)45 - Group Captain Thomas Frederick Dalton Morgan DSO OBE DFC*
Morgan was posted to 11 FTS, Wittering on 2 November 1936 and joined 22 (Torpedo-Bomber) Squadron. He went to Air Ministry on 29 May 1939, on the staff of the Directorate of Training. He arrived at 6 OTU, Sutton Bridge on 4 June 1940 for a refresher course. After converting to Hurricanes, he was posted to 43 Squadron on 15 June, as 'B' Flight Commander. On 12 and 13 July he shared He 111s, on the 21st he destroyed one Bf 109 and damaged another, on 8 August destroyed a Bf 109, a Ju 87 and probably another and on the 13th he shot down a He 111. In this engagement his Hurricane, P 3972, was damaged by cross-fire from He 111s and he baled out, slightly wounded. He rejoined the Squadron on 2 September. On 4 September he claimed two Bf 110s destroyed and on the 6th he destroyed a Bf 109 and damaged another, but was forced to crash land after the engagement. He was awarded the DFC (6.9.40). On 16 September 1940 he was promoted to Acting Squadron Leader and took command of 43 Squadron. During the night of 5/6 May 1941 he destroyed a Ju 88 and another enemy aircraft and on the night of the 6/7th he shot down a Ju 88. He was awarded a Bar to the DFC (30.5.41). He destroyed a Ju 88 during the night of 8/9 June, destroyed a He 111 on 11 July and shared a Ju 88 on the 24th. Immediately afterwards his own engine failed and he landed in the sea, transferred into his dinghy until he was picked up by HMS Ludlow. His final victory was another Ju 88 at night, on 2 October 1941. In January 1942 he was posted away to controller duties at Turnhouse. In November he was promoted and made Wing Commander Ops at 13 Group. He was then appointed Wing Leader at Middle Wallop and on 1 December 1942 he damaged a Bf 109. In early 1943 he was made Wing Leader of the Ibsley Wing and on April 5 he shot down a FW 190 and damaged another. He was awarded the DSO (25.5.43) and then went on attachment to the US 4th Fighter Group, to advise on long-range bomber-escort operations. In early 1944 he went as Operations Officer at 11 Group. He went to Europe with the 2nd TAF after the invasion remaining with it until 1946.

SP(SF)46 - Squadron Leader Kenneth Butterworth McGlashan AFC
McGlashan started his ab initio course at 11 E&RFTS, Perth on March 13 1939. He moved to 9 FTS, Hullavington on June 2 and with training completed, he joined the newly-formed 245 Squadron on November 7. On the 31st he was shot down by a Bf 109 near Dunkirk and was slightly wounded and temporarily partially blinded by oil and glycol splashing into his eyes. He put his Hurricane into a dive and by the time his sight came back he was very low. He pulled out of the dive, blacked out and came to travelling very fast and low along a beach. He made a successful forced-landing and was rescued by British soldiers from some French colonial troops who thought he was German. He walked along the beach into Dunkirk and managed to board a Thames paddle steamer. He served with 245 throughout the Battle of Britain. On December 17 1940 McGlashan was posted to 96 Squadron for night-fighting operations. In November 1941 he went to 60 OTU, East Fortune, as an instructor. On July 20 1942 he joined 87 Squadron as a supernumerary. He took part in ground-strafing operations during the Dieppe raid on August 19. He was posted to 536 Squadron on September 12 1942, a Turbinlite Havoc unit. The squadron was disbanded on January 25 1943 and he then joined 264 Squadron. He was later seconded to BOAC. 

SP(SF)47 - Flight Lieutenant Norman Robert Norfolk OBE DFC
Norfolk joined the R AuxAForce as a Wireless Operator / Mechanic serving with 504 Squadron in 1932. In 1936 he transferred to the RAF as an Airman u/t Pilot (580253) and attended EFTS at Prestwick before completing his training at 3 FTS, Montrose. He was posted to 1 Squadron, and was with 1 Squadron’s B Flight when it became 72 Squadron. Following a combat with Bf 109s off Dungeness on 1 September 1940, he made it back to base with a severely damaged tail unit. The next day he was shot down in combat but managed to bale out unhurt. On the 5th he suffered damage to his landing gear and successfully landed on one wheel with minimal damage to his Spitfire. On the 7th he destroyed a Do 17 and a He 111 on the 11th, followed by a Do 215 on the 27th and a Bf 110 on October 25. He was awarded the DFC (7.1.41), credited with at least four enemy aircraft destroyed. He then completed a flying instructor’s course and became an instructor at 2 CFS, Cranwell and 25 EFTS, Hucknell. In 1944 he converted to twin engine aircraft before being posted to 239 Squadron completing 30 operations flying intruder duties with Mosquitoes.

SP(SF)48 - Squadron Leader Robert Alexander Innes AE
Innes was called up on September 1 1939, he went to 10 FTS, Tern Hill on November 5 1939. In March 1940 he was posted to Sutton Bridge flying Blenheims and then posted to 253 Squadron on May 6 1940, where he flew sorties between Kenley and the squadron detachment at Poix, France. He claimed a Bf 110 destroyed on August 30 and on September 15 he shot down a Do 17. On 20 September he crashed land his Hurricane following an attack by Bf 109s, and crashed again during an interception patrol on October 11 from an unknown cause. He probably destroyed a Bf 109 off the coast of Essex on November 11. In April 1941 he sailed aboard HMS Argus for Gibraltar, where he was transferred to HMS Ark Royal and was one of the Hurricane pilots who flew off Ark Royal for Malta. On arrival he joined 261 Squadron for a short period before 185 Squadron was formed at Hal Far, Malta from members of 261 Squadron and 1430 Flight. During the heavy German attacks between May and July, he and his aircraft were hit twice, the second time his injuries stopped him from flying. He boarded HMS Edinburgh to be taken home, and the convoy came under repeated enemy attacks. After six months in hospital, he went on to take a flying instructor's course and then spent the rest of the war as an instructor. 

SP(SF)49 - Flight Lieutenant Douglas Clifford Cooper
Cooper  joined the RAFVR in 1939 as an Airman under training Wireless operator / Air Gunner (747756). Called up on September 1, he joined the 235 Squadron in October. In February he underwent further training, rejoining 235 on August 13 1940. He was posted to 272 Squadron on November 26 1940.  He was posted away to 240 Squadron on March 22 1941 and on September 1 1942 he went to 205 Squadron. He returned to operations on May 9 1944, posted to 230 Squadron as Signals Leader. He left the squadron on December 10 1945 and on May 6 1946 he went to 4 (Coastal) OTU, again as Signals Leader. He later served with 206 Squadron which operated Avro Yorks from RAF Lyneham during the Berlin Airlift and 99 Squadron based at RAF Lyneham with Hastings aircraft. 

SP(SF)50 - Group Captain Edward Preston Wells DSO DFC*
 In October 1938 Wells applied for a short service commission in the RNZAF, was accepted in mid-April 1939 but was not called until 26 October. On 20 November Wells went to 2 FTS, New Plymouth, moved to 2 FTS, Woodbourne on 15 January 1940 and with his flying training completed, he sailed for the UK on 7 June in the RMS Rangitata. Wells went to 7 OTU, Hawarden on 4 August and after converting to Spitfires, he joined 266 Squadron on the 26th. He was posted to 41 Squadron on 2 October. He claimed a Bf 109 destroyed on 17 October, a probable Bf109 and another damaged on the 29th and one confirmed on 2 November. He became the first British-based fighter pilot to engage the Italians, when he chanced on some CR 42s over the Channel on the 11th. On this day he damaged a CR 42 and probably destroyed a Hs 126. On November 27 he destroyed another Bf 109 and on 22 January 1941 he damaged a He 111. He joined  485 Squadron and scored the squadron's first victory on 5 July, a Bf 109 shot down during a close-cover escort for Stirlings to Lille. On the 24th Wells destroyed another Bf 109. He was awarded the DFC (7.8.41). On 16 August Wells damaged a Bf 109,on the 19th he destroyed a Bf 109 and damaged another, on 7 September probably destroyed a Bf 109, on the 18th destroyed another, on the 21st two more and on 2 October probably another. He was awarded a Bar to the DFC (6.1141) and he took command of 485 Squadron on 22 November. He led the squadron in the operations against the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau on 12 February 1942. He destroyed a FW 190 on 24 April and damaged another on the 25th. He was promoted to Acting Wing Commander on 5 May and appointed Wing Leader at Kenley. On 24 May he damaged a Bf 109 and on 20 June destroyed a FW 190. He was awarded the DSO (28.7.42) and posted back to New Zealand, returning to the UK on 4 April 1943 and attended a course at RAF Staff College, after which he again took over the Kenley Wing, leading it until mid-November, when he went to HQ 11 Group as Wing Commander Training. He was posted to lead the Tangmere Wing on 20 March 1944 and he destroyed a Me 410 on the ground on the 28th. During the next few months he led both the Detling and West Mailing Wings. On 1 November 1944 he went to CFE, Wittering, to command the Day Fighter Leaders' School.

All text copyright JSCC/STTF. No reproduction permitted without our consent.

Text taken from 'Men of the Battle of Britain' is copyright CCB Associates.