During March 1944, changes in 8 (Pathfinder) Group saw the larger squadrons reduced to two flights, which resulted in the formation of two new squadrons, 582 and 635. At the same time 8 Group acquired three new stations, Upwood, Downham Market and Little Staughton, the latter being the home of the newly formed No 582 Squadron. The Squadron came into being on the 1 April 1944 equipped with Lancasters, being disbanded on the 10 September 1945 following the end of the war. In its short history the Squadron left its mark with its aircrew earning 4 DSOs, 69 DFCs with 20 bars, 29 DFMs, numerous foreign decorations and most notably the posthumous Victoria Cross awarded to Captain Edwin Swales DFC.
The cover is cancelled with BFPS 2695 postmark for the 60th Anniversary of the formation of the Pathfinder Force dated 15 August 2002.
Hand signed by Flight Lieutenant R.J.F. Cann DFC
150 Signed, Numbered and Certified
Reg Cann was a Navigator with No 582 Squadron PFF between September 1944 and May 1945. Having trained as a Navigator in Canada during 1943, he joined No 625 Squadron flying Lancasters in July 1944 before being chosen for the Pathfinder Force and joining No 582 Squadron in September. Awarded his Pathfinder badge December 1944 he completed 47 Operations and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.